Colorado Springs BUR Built Up Roofing Installation
We Offer High Quality BUR Built Up Roofing Installation On All Types Of Residential & Commercial Properties. Low Maintenance Roofing At It's Finest.
GET A FREE QUOTE
What Is BUR Built Up Roofing?
Built-up roofing, or BUR, has stood the test of time. It’s been in use for over 100 years on flat roofs. Although the concept is nothing new, the materials and techniques used to install built up roofing have evolved over time.
BUR is composed of alternating layers of bitumen and reinforcing fabrics, with a layer of round pebbles in top to help with water shedding and reduce impact to the roof. The fabrics, also called ply sheets or roofing felts, are usually reinforced with glass fiber or organic materials to make them stronger.
Built up roofing has become a very popular choice for commercial buildings with flat roofs because of how well the top layer of rock protects the roof. It absorbs hail impacts, protects the roof from damage by foot traffic, keeps the waterproof layers from being exposed to sunlight and can last longer than other roofing types when installed properly.
How Is BUR Built Up Roofing Installed?
BUR roofing is suitable for diverse surfaces, including glass-fiber sheets, aluminum coatings, or aggregate. BUR can consist of different materials and be applied in varying ways, but most BUR roofs consist of three main parts: bitumen, ply sheets, and surfacing materials.
Although it’s not a must, we recommend installing insulation to the roof deck before installing your BUR roofing. Insulation can save you big money on energy costs. It cuts heat transfer, preventing warm air from escaping a heated building in winter. Given how cold Colorado winters get, insulation is a smart investment.
When it comes to installing the actual BUR roofing, the first step is to affix the base sheet. The base sheet serves as the bottom ply and is mechanically fastened to the roof before any layers of bitumen and additional ply are installed. It may be attached to the insulation or, if you decide against insulation, directly to the roof deck.
There is an alternative to securing the base sheet to the roof: “ballasted roofing.” In this case, the base sheet does not adhere to the roof. Instead, large stones measuring 1.5 to 2.5 inches in diameter (instead of smaller aggregate) are used as the top layer, providing a heavily weighted surface that keeps the membrane in place.
Once the base sheet is installed, the first layer of bitumen (asphalt, coal tar, or a cold-applied adhesive) is applied. If asphalt or coal tar is used, the material is first heated, making it malleable and easy to spread. It’s then applied across the surface using a mechanical spreader or mop. If cold-applied adhesive is used, there is no need to heat the material first.
After a layer of bitumen is put in place, a ply layer is laid over it to create a secure bond. The process then continues (bitumen, ply, bitumen, ply, etc.) until the desired number of layers is reached.
As the finishing step, a top layer of stone, gravel, or similar aggregate is applied. This provides a uniform, finished look. It also safeguards the underlying layers, offering protection against elements like wind, rain, hail, snow, and sun.
What Are The Benefits of BUR Built Up Roofing?
BUR has several distinct advantages that make it an appealing roofing option such as:
- Waterproof: A BUR membrane creates a single sealed surface across the roof, effectively keeping out moisture.
- UV resistant: The top layer of aggregate applied over the BUR membrane helps block out ultraviolet rays, protecting the underlying layers of bitumen and ply.
- Energy Efficient: By blocking UV light from getting to the roof deck, BUR roofs help prevent energy transfer, making for a more energy-efficient structure overall. Insulation can enhance the effect.
- Fire-resistant: The aggregate applied over a BUR membrane is fire-resistant, protecting the roof as a whole against the risk of fire.
- Long-lasting: If properly installed and maintained, BUR roofing can last anywhere from 15 to 30 years. In warmer climates, it can sometimes last up to 40 years.
- Wind Resistant: With a top layer of aggregate or small stones over the roofing material, your roof is already adhered to the roof deck and has an extra layer of wieght from the aggregate holding it down as well and effectively preventing any damage from high winds.
What Is The Typical Lifespan of BUR Built Up Roofing?
The precise lifespan of a BUR roof will depend on the materials used as well as the climate. Colorado is known for its harsh winters, with plenty of snow, ice, and wind and of course the wild hail storms we get during the summer. Still, a well-installed BUR roof can last 15 to 30 years under these harsh conditions. In less intense climates, a BUR roof can easily last up to 40 years — it generally lasts longer in warmer climates.
Expert installation will make a big difference in how long your BUR built up roofing lasts. Overhead Roofing of Colorado Springs provides reliable, professional work with warranties to back it, giving you a built up roof that can withstand even the harshest of local weather.
How Much Does BUR Roofing Cost To Install?
There are many factors that go into the overall cost of having a new BUR roofing system installed, but it can be broken down pretty easily. Below are some of the factors to consider when figuring out pricing of your roof system.
- What condition is your roof in? Will it need restoration?
- What is the overall size of your roof?
- How easy will it be for roofing crews to access your rooftop?
- What type of insulation do you need?
- What type and size rock do you need on top?
- Do you prefer a certain way of installation over another?
- How many and how difficult are the protrusions on your roof(ac units, electrical, vents, etc)
- What type of warranty are you looking for?
We're Experts at BUR Built Up Roofing Installations
Overhead Roofing Of Colorado Springs provides top-quality built up roofing systems to residential & commercial flat roof customers throughout Colorado Springs. We are proud of our skilled, detailed work, and will give you a sturdy, durable roof you can count on. Our residential & commercial roofing company consists of a friendly and professional team that doesn’t just get the job done right, we also ensure a spotless clean up afterward, so no mess is left behind. To get your free quote for BUR built up roofing installation, give us a call today.